Six people were injured after an overnight shooting in the back of a restaurant in Ajax, Ont., police said.
Durham Regional Police said emergency crews were called around 1:20 a.m. Monday to a shooting on Harwood Avenue, south of the 401 Freeway.
Staff Sergeant Tony Romano said one of the victims suffered life-threatening injuries, while the others suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
Read more: At least 4 Ontarians dead after multiple fatal crashes over weekend
Romano added that three of the victims were male and three were female.
He said when officers first arrived, five victims were identified and a sixth was later found in hospital.
Det. Christy McKinnon, who led the investigation into the incident, said a barbecue was being held at the time of the shooting, which had been advertised online.
Story continues below the ad
“We know there were a lot of people present, so we’re hoping some people who were here can come forward with more information for us to help us determine exactly what happened,” she said.
Police said the shooting happened in the back of a restaurant in Ajax, Ont. Global news
Police said one or more suspects fled the scene in a dark vehicle. McKinnon would not confirm whether the incident was a drive-by shooting.
Trending stories
-
The dark side of winning the lottery: The lucky ticket can cause new problems, say past winners
-
Delivery van vandalized after Trudeau visit, PEI pub says
There is no information on a possible motive.
McKinnon said the victims were treated “at various hospitals in the GTA.”
Forensic investigators are at the scene of the shooting on Harwood Avenue and are collecting evidence. The suspect(s) fled the scene in a vehicle and @DRPSWestDiv investigators are looking for anyone who may have witnessed this incident to come forward. pic.twitter.com/6tsakjHoDW
— Durham Regional Police (@DRPS) August 1, 2022
Story continues below the ad
Investigators are looking for witnesses to come forward as they investigate a shooting at 154 Harwood Ave in Ajax. So far, 6 shooting victims have been identified. One is life-threatening. It happened in the back of a restaurant at 1:20 in the morning. More to come. pic.twitter.com/O3AaDiE0pw
— Durham Regional Police (@DRPS) August 1, 2022
1:55 Toronto police investigate east end homicide Toronto police investigate east end homicide
© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Add Comment