Canada

Archbishop resigns from Canadian Anglican Church on charges of sexual misconduct


Links to the Breadcrumb trail

  1. News
  2. Canada

Indigenous National Archbishop Mark MacDonald was to be an important part of the Archbishop of Canterbury’s visit to Canada next week before his sudden resignation

Publication date:

April 20, 2022 • 54 minutes ago • 4 minutes reading • 80 comments Mark MacDonald in 2007 Photo by Peter Redman / National Post

Content of the article

An influential national archbishop of the Anglican Church of Canada has resigned from office and all church duties after being accused of sexual misconduct.

Advertising 2

This ad is not yet loaded, but your article continues below.

Content of the article

The departure of Mark MacDonald, an indigenous national archbishop in charge of pastoral care for members of the local Canadian church since 2007, came abruptly on Wednesday as the church’s treatment of additional – apparently unrelated – allegations of sexual misconduct criticism.

MacDonald was to be an important part of next week’s visit to Canada by the Archbishop of Canterbury, head of the Church of England and leader of the Anglican community, on a trip that underscores the church’s desire for reconciliation with Canada’s indigenous people.

MacDonald was one of two officials who invited the Rev. Justin Welby and arranged for him to meet with Indigenous leaders and survivors of residential schools.

Advertising 3

This ad is not yet loaded, but your article continues below.

Content of the article

The church did not provide details on the nature, location or timing of the allegations against MacDonald.

“It is with grief that we address our prayers for healing to all involved as we deal with the consequences of this situation. We continue to work for respect and dignity in all our relationships, “the church said in a written statement.

By the time the news of the charges and resignation was published, his biography and photo had already been deleted from the church’s website.

Macdonald, 68, became Canada’s first national national Anglican bishop in 2007. When he was promoted to archbishop in 2019, he became the first national Anglican national archbishop.

He previously served as bishop of the American Episcopal Church in Alaska for 10 years, a post he later held as assistant bishop of the Navajo Reservation, covering parts of Arizona, New Mexico and Utah.

Advertising 4

This ad is not yet loaded, but your article continues below.

Content of the article

MacDonald attended Wycliffe College in Toronto and served as a priest in Mississauga, Ont., Before his position in the United States, according to a restored version of his church biography.

MacDonald could not be found immediately to comment. He often spoke openly about the rights of indigenous peoples and concern for the poor.

MacDonald is married and has three children.

Joe Vexie, director of communications with the Anglican Church of Canada, said there would be no further comments other than a brief written statement.

The statement said the church was reviewing its policy on sexual harassment “in terms of training and procedures to ensure that our policy is effective and appropriate.”

The church also said that the leadership is committed to ensuring that its jobs are “free from violence, coercion, discrimination and sexual harassment” and that “no one is subjected to sexual abuse of any kind.”

Advertising 5

This ad is not yet loaded, but your article continues below.

Content of the article

“We deal promptly, seriously and systematically with all complaints of sexual misconduct,” the statement said, and we want to ensure that “those who hold positions of trust or authority in the church will not take advantage of or abuse that trust.” “.

The allegation and resignation come as the church is already dealing with the outrage of some church members who are handling allegations of sexual violence after attempts by alleged victims to tell their stories, in the spirit of the #MeToo awareness-raising movement. within the Anglican Church of Canada.

An attempt by three people to complain about sexual violence by ordained Anglican clergy and how church institutions reacted incorrectly to their allegations led to another “scandalous crime” – church officials fled the complainants, who spoke confidentially to the church newspaper.

Advertising 6

This ad is not yet loaded, but your article continues below.

Content of the article

Last year, three people shared their experiences with the Anglican Journal, a newspaper published by the church.

However, before the article was published, the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, the church’s national governing body and designated as the publisher, requested a black copy of it, according to an open letter to the church.

The unfinished project revealed the identities of at least some of the applicants against their will. Their allegations were then circulated to the specific institutions they complained about, according to the letter.

“Without transparency and accountability, the credibility of the Anglican Church of Canada and the Anglican Journal cannot be restored. At the moment, we cannot see how survivors of sexual violence or other church abuses can trust an organization that treats revelations so harshly, “said an open letter signed by the complainants and hundreds of others, including church officials and ordained clergy. .

Advertising 7

This ad is not yet loaded, but your article continues below.

Content of the article

“A profound cultural change is needed, starting with a clear rejection of foster care and corruption. Indeed, in order for every Christian to have confidence in the Church, he must know that it is led by good shepherds who protect the sheep from wolves, not the other way around. ”

The group behind the open letter said the circumstances surrounding McDonald’s resignation did not appear to be related to those outlined in the letter.

“As far as we know, there is no connection between Mark MacDonald and the breach of confidentiality described in the open letter,” the group said in a statement on its Twitter account.

Speaking on behalf of the church, Vexi agreed that the two issues were “completely unrelated.”

He said the issues raised in the letter were being addressed.

“Regarding your request for comment on the allegations of alleged victims, this issue is currently undergoing an internal process and it would be inappropriate to comment at this time,” he said.

• Email: ahumphreys@postmedia.com | Twitter: AD_Humphreys

Share this article on your social network

Advertising

This ad is not yet loaded, but your article continues below.

NP Published

Sign up to receive daily top stories from the National Post, a division of Postmedia Network Inc.

By clicking on the register button, you agree to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails. Postmedia Network Inc. | 365 Bloor Street East, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 3L4 | 416-383-2300

Thank you for registering!

Email is welcome. If you don’t see it, please check your junk folder.

The next issue of NP Posted will be in your inbox soon.

There was a problem registering with you. Please, try again

Comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civic discussion forum and encourages all readers to share their views on our articles. It can take up to an hour to moderate comments before they appear on the site. Please keep your comments up to date and respectful. We have enabled email notifications – you will now receive an email if you receive a response to your comment, there is an update on the thread for comments you follow, or if a user you follow comments on a comment. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.