Tennis player Nick Kyrgios is due to appear in court in Australia after being summoned to face charges of assaulting an ex-girlfriend.
The 27-year-old Australian, who reached the Wimbledon quarter-finals on Monday, will appear in court in Canberra next month.
Australian Capital Territory police confirmed on Tuesday that Kyrgios had been summoned to face a charge of assaulting his ex-girlfriend. It is linked to an incident in Canberra in December last year.
“ACT Police can confirm that a 27-year-old man from Watson is scheduled to appear in the ACT Magistrates Court on August 2 in relation to one charge of simple assault following an incident in December 2021,” a spokesperson said.
The subpoena reportedly relates to an allegation that Kyrgios grabbed a former partner, according to the Canberra Times.
The maximum sentence on the charge is two years.
Kyrgios’ lawyer, Jason Moffett, of Key Chambers, confirmed to the Canberra Times that his client was aware of the allegations.
“It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” he said. “The nature of the allegation is serious and Mr Kyrgios is taking it very seriously.
“Given that the matter is in court … he has no comment at this stage, but once time has passed we will issue a media release.”
Asked about the accusation on Tuesday, Kyrgios said: “I feel like I’m in the Last Dance.” It’s believed to be a reference to the Netflix TV series.
Kyrgios has been linked with social media influencer Costin Hatzi, who joined him in London for the championships. The couple, who recently got engaged, posted a series of photos on Instagram documenting their tours of London and their training sessions at SW19.
The world number 40 faces Chile’s Cristian Garin on Court 1 on Wednesday for a place in the semi-finals. Wednesday’s schedule was drawn up two hours after news of Kyrgios’ alleged assault broke.
Wimbledon has yet to comment on the allegations.
Add Comment