United Kingdom

Nick Kyrgios to appear in court on common assault charges

Nick Kyrgios will play in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon on Wednesday

Wimbledon quarter-finalist Nick Kyrgios is due to appear in court in Australia next month on a simple assault charge.

Police said it followed an incident in December last year, which Kyrgios’ lawyer said was “in the context of a domestic relationship”.

Kyrgios is now due to appear in the Australian Capital Territory Magistrate’s Court on August 2.

He will play Cristian Garin of Chile in the round of 16 at Wimbledon on Wednesday.

Kyrgios’ lawyer Jason Moffett, speaking to The Canberra Times in Australia, said: “The nature of the allegation is serious and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously.

“As the matter is before the court, he has no comment at this stage, but once time has passed we will issue a media release.”

A police statement said: “ACT Police can confirm that a 27-year-old man from Watson is scheduled to appear in the ACT Magistrates Court on August 2 in relation to one count of simple assault following an incident in December 2021.” “

The player’s legal team said: “At this time, the allegations are not considered a fact by the court and Mr Kyrgios is not considered to be charged with an offense pending his first appearance.”

Kyrgios was practicing on site at SW19 on Tuesday but moved around the court out of sight of reporters and photographers and did not answer any questions.

In a statement, the Association of Tennis Professionals said: “The ATP is aware of the Australian case involving Nick Kyrgios, but as legal proceedings are ongoing, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”