United Kingdom

Nick Kyrgios to be charged with assault on ex-girlfriend | News

Tennis player Nick Kyrgios has been summoned to court in Australia accused of assaulting an ex-girlfriend a day before his Wimbledon quarter-final match.

He allegedly assaulted Chiara Passari during their relationship last year. The couple has since separated. The charge carries a maximum sentence of two years in prison.

Australian police said in a statement: “ACT [Australian Capital Territory] Police can confirm the 27-year-old from Watson [relating to the area of Canberra where Kyrgios lives] is scheduled to appear in the ACT Magistrates Court on August 2 on one count of simple assault following an incident in December 2021.”

Chiara Passari watched Kyrgios at Wimbledon last year

JAVIER GARCIA/SHUTTERSTOCK

Jason Moffett, a lawyer representing Kyrgios, said The Canberra Times: “This is in the context of homework