Canada

The Ontario cabinet minister is facing a hearing on charges of private endangered species

Ontario’s new Secretary of Natural Resources is facing a hearing to determine if he harmed an endangered turtle species when he was mayor of a small town.

The allegations, made by a private prosecution, allege that Graden Smith and the town of Bracebridge, where Smith was mayor, injured Blanding’s turtles and posed a threat to the habitat of endangered species in June and August 2021.

The justice of the peace signed the allegations of violating the Endangered Species Act and set a hearing date last week on September 21 on the issue. The charges have not yet been investigated in court.

Smith was elected a progressive conservative in the provincial election earlier this month and was sworn in as Secretary of Natural Resources and Forestry in Prime Minister Doug Ford’s office last week.

Smith’s government spokesman confirmed that he was accused by a private citizen of violating the Endangered Species Act.

But he said the municipality is in a better position to comment on the case, which affects road works around the endangered turtle habitat.

“The council listened to the concerns expressed and sought mitigation measures before proceeding with the project,” Curtis Lindsey said in an email.

“Given that this is a decision taken by the council, the municipality is in a better position to provide any additional comments.

A Braysbridge lawyer said she was convinced the charges would be dropped.

Sarah Khan also shared a letter sent by the city’s chief administrative officer in September 2021 to a citizen who is concerned about road works disturbing the turtle’s habitat.

The letter explains how the city has taken the habitat into account by placing turtle crossing signs and changing operations to minimize damage.

“The fact is, and the evidence will show that the city has acted diligently and appropriately in completing the necessary road works near the turtles’ habitat,” Sarah Khan said in an email statement. “It is unfortunate that the city’s resources must be used to respond to these baseless allegations.

Smith won his seat on Parry Sound-Muskoka by just over 2,000 votes, pushing out trusted Green Party candidate Matt Richter.

Greens leader Mike Schreiner said the allegations against Smith were indicative of the government’s priorities.

“It certainly shows the lack of concern that the prime minister and the group have to appoint a minister who does not respect his own ministry,” he said.

Our morning and evening newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a brief summary of the most important headlines of the day. Register today.

This content looks as it was provided to The Globe by the original telegraph service. Not edited by Globe employees.