The search continued on Tuesday for a man, according to police, who may have information about the death of an 8-year-old boy in Cambridge.
Police are looking for 41-year-old Curtis Hesselink, who has been missing since Saturday.
The boy was found dead at a home on Townline Road near the village of Hespeler earlier in the day.
An 8-year-old boy was found dead at the home of Townline Rd. in Cambridge. (May 2022)
Police said his death was considered “suspicious”. At the time of the autopsy, the cause of the boy’s death has not yet been determined. On Tuesday, the head of the regional police service Waterloo told CTV News Kitchener that a toxicological report had been ordered.
“It’s just tragic,” said Brian Larkin.
NEIGHBORS REGISTER
Initially, police worried that Hesselink could be armed and dangerous, so neighbors were warned to stay in their homes.
“I was petrified,” said Marge Myers, who lives nearby. “I usually go to bed early. I stayed awake tonight to watch [Maple] Leafs with my husband and I did not want to be alone. I was just too scared. “
“I know many of the neighbors were worried [about] going out, said Mark Geier. “Many of the neighbors were worried, like, ‘What’s going on?’ Is there a killer at large?
Police now say there is no danger to society, but they are still concerned about Hesselink’s safety.
Several neighbors told CTV News that they would like this information to be told to them earlier.
“Just for every officer to walk the road or make a phone call, something,” Myers said. “Yes, absolutely [I] I would like that. “
Neighbors have learned that Hesselink is no longer a public threat from news reports and social media.
“It would be nice to know what’s going on, of course,” Geier said. “At the same time, I realize that they are investigating, so they have to keep quiet about it.”
POLICE REACTION
Chief Brian Larkin said police were working to find better ways to communicate with the public in situations like these.
“We certainly understand the trepidation of the community as we move forward and consider the use of warning mechanisms,” he said. “We are currently using social media as well as news outlets. But we are making progress and looking for other warning mechanisms. “
He added that after a risk assessment, they found “quickly” that Hesselink was not a threat to the community.
Curtis Hesselink in an undated photo provided by the Waterloo Regional Police Office.
Neighbors also wondered why Hesselink’s name and photo were not made public until Monday.
Chief Larkin said there are many difficult decisions that need to be made in complex situations like these.
“These were investigative decisions while we were working on it. Apparently we released a description and [had] a lot of discussions around potentially too, by posting the name and photo, [that we] will identify the 8-year-old. So there is a connection. We have looked at all these processes and are working with the families involved to ensure that we find the right balance. “
Police did not say the boy’s name or how Hesselink and the child knew each other.
THE SEARCH CONTINUES
On Tuesday, police used various methods to search for Hesselink.
“We are searching a large area of the place where the death occurred,” said Chief Larkin. “There is a lot of land, forest, there is water in the property. We used a remote-controlled vehicle to search the area. We also had an OPP helicopter to help us, we had ground search teams. Most recently, we had an OPP dog unit, specialized dogs to help us, and their underwater unit. “
Waterloo Regional Police at the scene of a boy’s death in Cambridge. (May 2022)
After four days of searching, Hesselink was not found and the community was on the edge.
“Until they say they found him, I’ll be scared,” Myers said. – I will not enter my own sphere.
Add Comment